Monday, February 10, 2014

MYST POST #1: "Lone Survivor"

I am a huge fan of Mark Wahlberg. I have seen almost every movie he has been in, and think he is just a phenomenal actor. So, when Lone Survivor came out and I knew Marky Mark was starring in it, I automatically wanted to see it. I have started to appreciate war films more because of how complicated it is to accurately portray what happens overseas. Within the first 20 minutes of this film, it was obvious that the casting was spot on. 
Also, I knew of Taylor Kitsch, who plays Michael Murphy, because of my familiarity with the television show Friday Night Lights, and was completely blown away by his performance. Even the relative unknowns in the film did a spectacular job of capturing that emotion of being away from home and the heartbreak that comes along with war. As a viewer, I don't think that true emotion can really be faked, but these actors brought the characters to life in a way that I've never seen before. Not going to lie, I was brought to tears repeatedly, even before the first death occurred. 

The editing of this movie was very fast-paced, as any war movie tends to be. From the beginning there were numerous circle, panoramic shots were the audience member thought that they were in the room with them. This added to the emotional connection the director was clearly trying to create right from the start. When their mission begins, there are more close shots of their faces than I originally expected. This as well added to our sympathy for them and the situation they are in. When the action begins, we follow them as they fall or as they run, keeping us with them throughout the whole fight and struggle to survive. Because of this, the use of long shots was rare unless they were in a new position. I was surprised by this, but it worked out well in the long run.

The one scene that made a huge impression on me was when Marcus Luttrell (Wahlberg) awakes the morning after the attack and is alone and severely injured. The scene starts with us waking up with him, as we go from a black screen to slowly seeing light, just as Luttrell is. We get close ups of his injuries and the sound is amplified so we hear his breathing even more than normal. Also, the sounds of the nature around him are present and the light shines on the trees in a way that is showing both us and Luttrell that there is still hope. We then see him struggle to get up and make his way to a river where he immediately falls in. From there, we are only seeing a shot of Luttrell as he breathes slowly, in slow motion it seemed. Then, his face automatically changes to fear and we don't know the reason until about ten seconds later when the shots change. This scene, I believe, was the longest one that didn't have a break to it. That was purposeful to convey the feelings going through his head at this obviously heartbreaking time and to highlight the importance of that. 

Overall, I was blown away by everything Lone Survivor had to offer. It made me think not only about the situation, but about the different shots and lighting that can be used to convey the mood. I would definitely give this a 5/5 and would recommend to anybody, regardless of their movie taste. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoLFk4JK_RM




7 comments:

  1. Wonderful review, Alex! I'm not the biggest fan of Mark Wahlberg, seeing as I've only seen him in "Shooter" and "The Lovely Bones," but I'm very excited to see him in different films such as this one! Many give high accolades to his performances, and your review just nudged me to want to start seeing them very soon. Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great writing! I have heard so many amazing things about this movie, and I also think all the stars in it are great actors. I really want to see this movie, and your review made me want to see it even more. I completely agree with you that I've sort of developed an appreciation for war films over time because of the complexity within them, and I think this will be a great one for me to watch. Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good post, I definitely am also a fan of Mark Wahlberg and have seen parts of this movie. I always get emotional as well whenever I watch war movies. It really drags me into the film and since Wahlberg is in this, I have to watch this sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely agree with your review of this movie. I'm a huge fan of war films and "Love Survivor" is one of the most jarring ones I've opted to sit through. Though there were aspects that made me smile, such as the familial relationship between the SEALs and the moment at the end when Gulab's young son runs to embrace Luttrell, I couldn't help being brought to tears, especially when the photos of all of the real soldiers who died in Operation Red Wing appeared on the screen. The film presents the shocking aspect of the deaths of just about all of the characters that the audience gets to know and love, and the unfathomable moral decisions that those in the military are often forced to make. After seeing this movie, I definitely had a greater appreciation for the freedom that we have here in America and for the bravery of our soldiers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job, Alex! I liked the way you analyzed the sound aspect of the one scene you chose and also how you were honest about your emotions throughout the movie. However, I was never a big fan of war films, but maybe watching this movie will change my mind! I, too, am a fan of Mark Wahlberg, so I'll definitely have to watch this movie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great work here. To be honest. I thought this movie might be tired and redundant, but from your review I definitely have a new impression of it. It sounds great; your review is very convincing and I'm definitely intrigued, along with the others who commented. Great work with the details and cinematic elements.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did a great job Alex!! I wanna see this movie now, and I am also a huge Mark Wahlberg fan!

    ReplyDelete